Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Shit you should be listening to II



Around 5 years ago, a female acquaintance(read:hoochie that I met at a bar) asked me if I wanted to go see a band in orlando(45 min drive). She said she would buy me a ticket and beer at the show. That was the best money I've ever spent. The band was Authority Zero.
At that point in their short career, they had a minor hit on MTV called "One more minute", a beachy kind of anthem. I had heard the song, and it was catchy, and identifiable with the area I live in and the crowd I was hanging out with. The show was at the Social, an Orlando bar synonomous with punk/alternative bands that held about 300-400 people. A sparse crowd was there, giving me ample opportunity to see the band perform. I would have to rank them in the top 10 bands I've ever seen live, having seen well over 500 shows from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to Slayer to Jane's Addiction.
The album, their first complete album is called "A passage in time", and I would rank it in my top 25 complete albums of all time. The album contains 13 tracks, ranging from Irish folk song to straight old school punk rock, reggae to ballads. The group can transition from one style to the other song by song, or within the same song. The band I would compare them to is Sublime, only for the reason that they can seamlessly switch back and forth from the different genres, not for musical style. The musicianship is excellent, lyrics are provoking, and the live performances are a must see. I see them EVERY time they come to Orlando.
The band itself is also very, very fan friendly. By that, I don't mean they'll bang your girlfriend, I mean that they'll talk to you if approached, and always hang out for beer after the show.
They've released 3 albums since then, but the best is "A passage in time". All of the albums are worthy of a purchase, but cut your teeth on the first, and then you can see where they've gone with their music. For acoustic, check out Jason DeVore, the lead singer's solo album. Also very good work.


MYSPACE

No comments: